Saturday, August 21, 2010

Finding my way out of the funk

I have been a huge fan of the Biggest Loser since the first season.  I follow several former "Losers" on both Facebook and Twitter.  One of my favorite former contestants is Matt Hoover.  I relate the most to his struggles, both physically and emotionally.  I used to read his blog religiously and feel he is a great motivational speaker.  His blog from a few days ago opened my eyes...he talked about "being in a funk".

In the last few months, I haven't been connected to many things I used to love.  I have secluded myself and restricted social interactions if at all possible.  I don't know why I have been hibernating, I just haven't felt like myself lately.  I still go out and be social, but I don't take as much pleasure in things.  Trivia is ok, but losing its luster.  I keep making excuses for canceling on plans with friends (sick, too hot, no money).  And although most of the excuses are true, if I really felt like going, I would find a way.  This funk has also enveloped my training for the half marathon.

I have 5 weeks to prepare for this race and I am probably in the worst shape I can be to run 13.1 miles.  Yet I still can't find the motivation to get out there and train.  I found a program that will help me finish the race under the time deadline.  What I need to find now is the energy to follow through.  I had every intention of getting to the health club today to put in my four miles on the treadmill.  My body decided I needed to stay in bed until 1pm.  I need to figure out a way to push myself.  To find a way to realize that if I actually work toward the goal, all of the other things will fall into place.

I was browsing some friend's photos on Facebook and see how happy they are...I want to feel that again.  I want to feel like I am worthy of dating and find a good man, not the unemployed, pathetic men I have dated the last few years.  One of the first steps to any "problem" is to admit you have one.  I have a problem, I need to get off my ass and get moving.  No more excuses.  The next 5 weeks will be blogged so that I can document my progress.  I will finish the race...I have 3.25 hours to finish 13 miles.  I will get my medal.  The first day of my new life is tomorrow.

Thanks Matt for the kick in the ass I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment