Friday, October 11, 2013

A minor setback

Last week I finally joined DePaul University's fitness center which has a great deal for alumni of $33/month the first year after graduation. I signed dozens if papers and was given my new keycard. I decided to spend Sunday afternoon reacquainting my body to actual exercise as I've been limited lately to walking and swimming.
I spent about 90 minutes alternating between strength training machines and the elliptical trainer. I'm happy to report I haven't lost all of my muscle mass but my endurance sucks. After 10 minutes on the elliptical I felt my legs preparing to strike and they began convincing my lungs that I was out of my mind to think I could handle any hardcore exercise.
When my heart rate soared past the weight loss/training level, I decided to try the weight machines for a while. As I reached overhead for the lat pull down, my muscles seemed to rejoice: "hooray! She's using us again!" I found I could do multiple reps at a good starting weight and not feel too achy. I moved through the circuit of machines making sure to get all of the major muscle groups. I was starting to get the endorphin high that I remember so well. I went home that evening to another 3 mile walk and a good night's sleep.
The next day my hopes of continuing my program were derailed by work. My coworker is on vacation and I have to cover my work and his while he is gone. Coupled with the start of our "busy season" and I was working late every night. So late that after a three mile walk with my dogs, I had enough time to eat, start some laundry an get ready for bed. This continued for the next four days.
In addition, I've had sleeping issues in that I sleep well for a couple of hours and then I am wide awake for a hour. This lack of REM sleep has had an effect on my energy level so even if I had the time to workout, my body wouldn't have let me.
On Thursday I lost my iPod Shuffle which I used for my walks/runs. I felt like I'd lost a piece of me and I let my depression take over. This resulted in a change in eating habits and I gained a few pounds due to unhealthy choices.
Today was a little easier at work and I was able to get motivation and encouragement from other runners on Facebook and various blogs. While I will only do a three mile walk with the dogs tonight, I have the drive to get back on track tomorrow. I also believe that visiting the Chicago Marathon Health and Fitness Expo will inspire me as well.
Keep on plugging along!



- Trying to shed my potato skin and find my inner skinny fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment