Thursday, September 26, 2013

RICE RICE Baby

This past Saturday, I participated in a 10k race. Due to an arthritis flareup in my feet, along with shoes that should have been retired, Monday and Tuesday were extremely painful. When topical ointments (bio freeze) and anti inflammatories (800mg of ibuprofen) only masked the pain, I realized I needed to approach this from a different angle.

While I have increased my Omega 3 Fatty acids in recent months, I have also begun following a more balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. This change has helped, but if I am to actually run a 10k at Disney World in January, I need to give my joints some rest.

The first thing I am doing is wearing my air cast boot for at least two weeks to alleviate pressure on my joints. The next step is to change the shoes I wear for work. I currently wear slip on shoes which according to The Arthritis Foundation are the worst shoes someone with osteoarthritis (OA) can wear. I plan on doing more research to find the best shoes for me.

Finally, I will limit my high impact exercise for the next month and concentrate on swimming and elliptical training. I need to take care of my body and can no longer suffer through the pain. I guess that is one of the joys of getting older.

My lovely footwear for the next two weeks;



- Trying to shed my potato skin and find my inner skinny fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment